Like a Child

At the end of particular Sunday services we offer what's called a "Response" so that worshippers can "come forward" (I hesitate to use that particular phrase but can't think of another one) and bow in prayer at the steps of our stage area to offer petitions to a Holy God. Sometimes they come to me and ask if I will pray with them which is without exception a huge honor. I feel such pastoral privilege to be able to accompany someone I love as they approach the throne room of the Almighty. But there are few things more precious to me than when a child comes forward and asks for prayer.

Some adults in the room seem to fidget a bit when the little ones begin to move from their place toward the front. I doubt it's because they disapprove...I think it probably is because they may think it puts me in the awkward position of praying for childish...therefore trivial things...those things that might best be prayed for quietly from the seats or written on the prayer cards. It's just a theory, but a few have even asked me how I feel about the pre-teen prayer-time and I have to smile. Jesus was in a similar position when it comes to children approaching Him, and most of us know how He felt about it (Mark 10:14). How else could I feel? I love it. Prayers so genuine...so innocent...so simple...so heart-warming...so beautiful. So, without revealing too much, I'd like to share a few of the prayer requests I have the blessing of hearing every now and then...

Can you pray for my dad? He said his back is killing him and I don't want him to die...
Can you pray for our church? I heard we need more money...
Pray for me when I ride the bus. ______ is mean to me and I want God to help me not punch her...
Will you pray for my dog? Dad said she's gonna have lots of puppies next week and I don't want it to hurt too much...
I want to pray for my friend at school? He said he didn't know God and I want them to meet...

And then we bow...and pray.