Grace is Scandalous!

Just when I thought I was beginning to understand this concept of "grace" I realize just how far I have to go. Like a hound on the scent of a fox I will chase it with reckless abandon, but I do so soberly knowing that this mystery is beyond human comprehension. I want to dare to try and capture it…dare to dive into the mystery of it all. Even if it means I will never know it fully (and I know that I will not) I want to pursue it with all I have.

The other day, I saw a message on the front of a T-shirt that read "Dear karma, I have a list of people that you missed". For whatever reason, I understand karma and what it is all about. It is the stuff of which blockbuster movies are made. You know the storyline: Bad guy does something really horrible five minutes into the movie and we anxiously wait two hours to see him get his in the end. Then the credits roll and all seems right with the world. As we leave, we throw away our pop corn bucket knowing that this is right and good. We feel justice has been served...wrongs, righted...scales balanced. that is the way with karma. It is always so neat and tidy. Not grace. Grace is messy. Grace comes in with a different attitude. It says I know you have done something horrible and I am going to do the just thing. I am going to do something that you cannot possibly do…pay the price. It is a story of the Good Guy not taking it out on his enemy that wronged Him but rather laying down his life so that his enemy does not have to. It makes no sense…it is illogical…even scandalous. How can this be happening? He's not suppose to die. The bad guy needs to get his come-uppance. It is the only way this has a happy ending for our protagonist.

This is not the way of grace. Something is amiss and I want to cry "FOUL!" I want to shout "IT'S NOT FAIR!"Just when I get ready to yell,  I am reminded that the bad guy…the one who is getting something he does not deserve and not getting something he really does deserve…is me. My sin cries for a Redeemer and grace provides one. The cross…the shed blood…the Suffering Savior…the death…the empty tomb. It is all because I have done something horrible. Grace then sweeps me up and says "It is paid for". What?!? How can this be? I believe it. A wave of gratitude washes over me because I am free!

If it is karma that you seek, you will not find it at the cross. Here, there is only grace…grace…scandalous grace. If that is what you are looking for then you have come to the right place. You will not understand it, but you can dive into it and find that it is sweet…it is real…and it is available!